July 16, 2017
Educated citizens make for a smart, thriving community. Public broadcasting is a crucial part of that education. Thanks to KIXE and Lorraine Dechter for keeping the North State informed with local programs like this.
July 6, 2018
Conservative Modoc County, in far Northern California, supports and is being helped by the Affordable Care Act. Yet Northern California Congressman Doug LaMalfa voted against it. Thus costing 23 million Americans their healthcare; thousands of them in far Northern California. He just doesn’t get it.
Congressman LaMalfa hid from reporters and would not defend his position for this news report for NPR.
On environmental issues, Ronald Reagan said, “Preservation of our enviro…nment is not a liberal or conservative challenge, its common sense.” In that same spirit, I say the same is true for healthcare. I say, allowing people to see a doctor is also just common sense. Congressman LaMalfa doesn’t have this common sense. He just doesn’t get it.
Yes, there are problems with the Affordable Care Act. We need to fix them. The first fix needs to be replacing an out of touch congressman who is more interested in backing his political party than he is in actually exercising common sense.
June 21, 2017
We need to fix our broken two party political system. The Centrist Project is “building a movement to take on the entrenched establishments of both political parties.”
June 19, 2017
Concerned voters from Chico to Redding, Yreka to Grass Valley, are welcome to join Independent Like The North State. Help bring common sense back to Congress.
June 19, 2017
INDEPENDENT LIKE THE NORTH STATE
* We are not Democrats. We are not Republicans. We are Americans. We work together to find common sense solutions to our country’s problems.
* We are predominantly independents. Joined by like-minded Republicans and Democrats of good conscience.
* We believe reaching across the aisle is good. Compromise is not a dirty word. It is adult behavior. Moderation is good. We must work with people we disagree with to find common ground.
* We are fed up with partisan party politics and petty bickering in Washington. We are committed to a functioning government and ending gridlock.
* We believe in governing from the center and putting a stop to political party ping pong democracy.
* We are committing to electoral reform. Abolishing gerrymandered districts that are not democratic. Giving all candidates the ability to help govern their country.
* We will reclaim Teddy Roosevelt’s trustbusting spirit that helped enable all Americans to earn a living wage.
* We believe in a strong military, thoughtfully used, to preserve peace at home and abroad, if necessary.
* We strive to balance our budget and be fiscally responsible. We will bring common sense economic policies back to Washington and, as George H.W. Bush said, eliminate the infestation of “voodoo economics.”
* We believe all Americans should have healthcare. Affordable Care Act, for all its faults, allowed many Americans to see a doctor. ACA should be repaired and fixed—not repealed and replaced.
* North State Congressman Doug LaMalfa voted to take health care away from 23 million Americans. Congressman LaMalfa should be repealed and replaced.
* Ronald Reagan said, “Preservation of our environment is not a liberal or conservative challenge, its common sense.” We agree.
* We believe, as George W. Bush said, “No one should be singled out for unfair treatment or unkind words because of their ethnic background or religious faith.”
* We believe that President Trump is an embarrassment to our republic. Members of congress who enable him are part of the problem.
June 19, 2017
Redding resident Chris Verrill launches Independent Like the North State.