July 16, 2017
Educated citizens make for a smart, thriving community. Public broadcasting is a crucial part of that education. Thanks to KIXE and Lorraine Dechter for keeping the North State informed with local programs like this.
July 12, 2017
Democracy can’t succeed without educated citizens. Thomas Jefferson is rolling over in his grave at these research results. We need to encourage–and make affordable–education for all Americans. Not just college. But vocational training. Basic civics.
July 6, 2017
Political parties shouldn’t matter. Together we are Americans.
July 3, 2017
“It’s not helpful to call the press the enemy of the people,” said Republican Senator Ben Sasse. He’s right. We need to go back to fundamentals and teach our congress the basics of how freedom of speech works.
June 24, 2017
Democrats and Republicans need to start behaving like adults. They need to work together.
June 21, 2017
We need to fix our broken two party political system. The Centrist Project is “building a movement to take on the entrenched establishments of both political parties.”
June 19, 2017
Concerned voters from Chico to Redding, Yreka to Grass Valley, are welcome to join Independent Like The North State. Help bring common sense back to Congress.
June 19, 2017
INDEPENDENT LIKE THE NORTH STATE
* We are not Democrats. We are not Republicans. We are Americans. We work together to find common sense solutions to our country’s problems.
* We are predominantly independents. Joined by like-minded Republicans and Democrats of good conscience.
* We believe reaching across the aisle is good. Compromise is not a dirty word. It is adult behavior. Moderation is good. We must work with people we disagree with to find common ground.
* We are fed up with partisan party politics and petty bickering in Washington. We are committed to a functioning government and ending gridlock.
* We believe in governing from the center and putting a stop to political party ping pong democracy.
* We are committing to electoral reform. Abolishing gerrymandered districts that are not democratic. Giving all candidates the ability to help govern their country.
* We will reclaim Teddy Roosevelt’s trustbusting spirit that helped enable all Americans to earn a living wage.
* We believe in a strong military, thoughtfully used, to preserve peace at home and abroad, if necessary.
* We strive to balance our budget and be fiscally responsible. We will bring common sense economic policies back to Washington and, as George H.W. Bush said, eliminate the infestation of “voodoo economics.”
* We believe all Americans should have healthcare. Affordable Care Act, for all its faults, allowed many Americans to see a doctor. ACA should be repaired and fixed—not repealed and replaced.
* North State Congressman Doug LaMalfa voted to take health care away from 23 million Americans. Congressman LaMalfa should be repealed and replaced.
* Ronald Reagan said, “Preservation of our environment is not a liberal or conservative challenge, its common sense.” We agree.
* We believe, as George W. Bush said, “No one should be singled out for unfair treatment or unkind words because of their ethnic background or religious faith.”
* We believe that President Trump is an embarrassment to our republic. Members of congress who enable him are part of the problem.
June 19, 2017
Redding resident Chris Verrill launches Independent Like the North State.